From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] To multilib or Not to multilib!?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 01:32:29
1 On Sun, January 25, 2009 20:58, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I don't use Wine. I did for a while use Crossover Office which is Wine
3 > based. Any idea if that requires me to install 32-bit stuff or do they
4 > provide everything they need? I doubt I'll use it again so it's not
5 > much of an issue one way for the other.
6
7 Crossover won't work either unless it ships ALL the required libs, which
8 is very unlikely. And even then, it will only work if you enable IA32 emul
9 in your kernel.
10
11 > Were you speaking of the Flash-10.0.21.0_alpha? Is that significantly
12 > differeng from 10.0.15.3 that I have installed?
13
14 The only reason I suggest you the alpha version is because previous
15 flash versions have not support for 64 bits, hence, you will need
16 multilib to use them. The latest alpha has finally been ported to
17 x86_64, which means that it's now a native 64 bit application, and
18 doesn't need multilib to run on a 64 bits system.
19
20 > If you go no-multilib as I understand it there's no easy way to go
21 > back, correct?
22
23 Right. There are lots of complicated ways though. But it's hobbyist stuff.
24 The safest and quickest way is to just reinstall.
28 Jesús Guerrero