From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unstable images in Firefox
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:51:55
1 This is in fact a scripting error. It doesn't have anything to do with
2 the scroll bar, though. I have my resolution at 1066x1200 which
3 provides ample room for the page to render and the scrollbar is never
4 invoked.
5
6 At any rate, I have seen this error before with my own scripts. In
7 essence, this is what happens
8
9 1. Mouse hovers over specified area and triggers onmouseover event
10 2. onmouseover event calls a function that places a new image at the
11 mouse cursor
12 3. The mouse cursor is now over the new image so onmouseout is
13 triggered from the original image
14 4. onmouseout removes the new image
15 5. The mouse cursor is now over the original image again, triggering
16 onmouseover
17 6. Go to step 2
18
19 This looping is what causes the flickering image. If you are the
20 developer of the page, I would suggest you look into one of these solutions:
21
22 * When the new hovering image is created, its absolute position
23 should be such that it does not appear under the mouse cursor
24 * When the new hovering image receives focus, a variable is set and
25 unset when focus is lost. onmouseout on the original image should
26 check to see if this variable is set before removing the original
27 image
28
29 If you are not the developer, feel free to forward this message to
30 whoever is. Hope this helps.
31
32 Dustin C. Hatch
33 http://www.dchweb.com