From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:27:07
1 On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:23:34 -0700 as excerpted:
4 >
5 > > I don't personally have a lot of interest but [...]
6 >
7 > > The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my
8 > > first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I
9 > > pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.
10 >
11 > Same thing here about booting up and logging in, but here I don't use a
12 > *DM at all, preferring a text-based login, and running startx (with /etc/
13 > X11/Xclients having a single "exec startkde" line) from my logged-in user
14 > if I want to go to X/kde/plasma.
15 >
16 > So no worries about *DM at all. I just login at the text prompt
17 > regardless of whether I'm headed for X or not, and startx just as if it
18 > was any other app I wanted to run at the text prompt. =:^)
19 >
20 > --
21 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
22 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
23 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
26 I just knew when I saw you had replied that you'd say that! ;-)
27
28 Here at home we share machines. My wife, much less my 86 year old mother,
29 wouldn't be at all comfortable with a solution being that technical, and
30 generally speaking, I like to know that graphics are working when a machine
31 boots vs she logs in, types startx and something fails - which happened
32 here after the Plasma 5 upgrade. My main machine has run 3 monitors for
33 years with no xorg.conf file but after the upgrade it didn't work anymore
34 and X wouldn't start at all.
35
36 Having a DM is kind of nice when managing other people's experiences but
37 this sddm choice seems oriented toward single user machine and less toward
38 general usage cases. I suppose so many people use laptops these days it
39 makes sense but not for me.
40
41 Good to hear from you. Has the networking thing worked out OK for you?
42
43 Cheers,
44 Mark