From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 23:04:12
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> So with 4k block sizes on a 5-device raid6, you'd have 20k stripes, 12k
4 >> in data across three devices, and 8k of parity across the other two
5 >> devices.
6 >
7 > With mdadm on a 5-device raid6 with 512K chunks you have 1.5M in a
8 > stripe, not 20k. If you modify one block it needs to read all 1.5M,
9 > or it needs to read at least the old chunk on the single drive to be
10 > modified and both old parity chunks (which on such a small array is 3
11 > disks either way).
14 Hi Rich,
15 I've been rereading everyone's posts as well as trying to collect
16 my own thoughts. One question I have at this point, being that you and
17 I seem to be the two non-RAID1 users (but not necessarily devotees) at
18 this time, is what chunk size, stride & stripe width with you are
19 using? Are you currently using 512K chunks on your RAID5? If so that's
20 potentially quite different than my 16K chunk RAID6. The more I read
21 through this thread and other things on the web the more I am
22 concerned that 16K chunks has possibly forced far more IO operations
23 that really makes sense for performance. Unfortunately there's no easy
24 way to me to really test this right now as the RAID6 uses the whole
25 drive. However for every 512K I want to get off the drive you might
26 need 1 chuck whereas I'm going to need what, 32 chunks? That's got to
27 be a lot more IO operations on my machine isn't it?
28
29 For clarity, I'm a 16K chunk, stride of 4K, stripe of 12K:
30
31 c2RAID6 ~ # tune2fs -l /dev/md3 | grep RAID
32 Filesystem volume name: RAID6root
33 RAID stride: 4
34 RAID stripe width: 12
35 c2RAID6 ~ #
36
37 c2RAID6 ~ # cat /proc/mdstat
38 Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
39 md3 : active raid6 sdb3[9] sdf3[5] sde3[6] sdd3[7] sdc3[8]
40 1452264480 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 16k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]
41
42 unused devices: <none>
43 c2RAID6 ~ #
44
45 As I understand one of your earlier responses I think you are using
46 4K sector drives, which again has that extra level of complexity in
47 terms of creating the partitions initially, but after that should be
48 fairly straight forward to use. (I think) That said there are
49 trade-offs between RAID5 & RAID6 but have you measured speeds using
50 anything like the dd method I posted yesterday, or any other way that
51 we could compare?
52
53 As I think Duncan asked about storage usage requirements in another
54 part of this thread I'll just document it here. The machine serves
55 main 3 purposes for me:
56
57 1) It's my day in, day out desktop. I run almostly totally Gentoo
58 64-bit stable unless I need to keyword a package to get what I need.
59 Over time I tend to let my keyworded packages go stable if they are
60 working for me. The overall storage requirements for this, including
61 my home directory, typically don't run over 50GB.
62
63 2) The machine runs 3 Windows VMs every day - 2 Win 7 & 1 Win XP.
64 Total storage for the basic VMs is about 150GB. XP is just for things
65 like NetFlix. These 3 VMs typically have allocated 9 cores allocated
66 to them (6+2+1) leaving 3 for Gentoo to run the hardware, etc. The 6
67 core VM is often using 80-100% of its CPUs sustained for times. (hours
68 to days.) It's doing a lot of stock market math...
69
70 3) More recently, and really the reason to consolidate into a single
71 RAID of any type, I have about 900GB of mp4s which has been on an
72 external USB drive, and backed up to a second USB drive. However this
73 is mostly storage. We watch most of this video on the TV using the
74 second copy drive hooked directly to the TV or copied onto Kindles.
75 I've been having to keep multiple backups of this outside the machine
76 (poor man's RAID1 - two separate USB drives hooked up one at a time!)
77 ;-) I'd rather just keep it safe on the RAID 6, That said, I've not
78 yet put it on the RAID6 as I have these performance issues I'd like to
79 solve first. (If possible. Duncan is making me worry that they cannot
80 be solved...)
81
82 Lastly, even if I completely buy into Duncan's well formed reasons
83 about why RAID1 might be faster, using 500GB drives I see no single
84 RAID solution for me other than RAID5/6. The real RAID1/RAID6
85 comparison from a storage standpoint would be a (conceptual) 3-drive
86 RAID6 vs 3 drive RAID1. Both create 500GB of storage and can
87 (conceptually) lose 2 drives and still recover data. However adding
88 another drive to the RAID1 gains you more speed but no storage (buying
89 into Duncan's points) vs adding storage to the RAID6 and probably
90 reducing speed. As I need storage what other choices do I have?
91
92 Answering myself, take the 5 drives, create two RAIDS - a 500GB
93 2-drive RAID1 for the system + VMs, and then a 3-drive RAID5 for video
94 data maybe? I don't know...
95
96 Or buy more hardware and do a 2 drive SSD RAID1 for the system, or
97 a hardware RAID controller, etc. The options explode if I start buying
98 more hardware.
99
100 Also, THANKS TO EVERYONE for the continued conversation.
101
102 Cheers,
103 Mark