From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:28:43
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > So with 4k block sizes on a 5-device raid6, you'd have 20k stripes, 12k
3 > in data across three devices, and 8k of parity across the other two
4 > devices.
5
6 With mdadm on a 5-device raid6 with 512K chunks you have 1.5M in a
7 stripe, not 20k. If you modify one block it needs to read all 1.5M,
8 or it needs to read at least the old chunk on the single drive to be
9 modified and both old parity chunks (which on such a small array is 3
10 disks either way).
11
12 > Forth, back to the parity. Remember, raid5/6 has all that parity that it
13 > writes out (but basically never reads in normal mode, only when degraded,
14 > in ordered to reconstruct the data from the missing device(s)), but
15 > doesn't actually use it for integrity checking.
16
17 I wasn't aware of this - I can't believe it isn't even an option
18 either. Note to self - start doing weekly scrubs...
19
20 > The single down side to raid1 as opposed to raid5/6 is the loss of the
21 > extra space made available by the data striping, 3*single-device-space in
22 > the case of 5-way raid6 (or 4-way raid5) vs. 1*single-device-space in the
23 > case of raid1. Otherwise, no contest, hands down, raid1 over raid6.
24
25 This is a HUGE downside. The only downside to raid1 over not having
26 raid at all is that your disk space cost doubles. raid5/6 is
27 considerably cheaper in that regard. In a 5-disk raid5 the cost of
28 redundancy is only 25% more, vs a 100% additional cost for raid1. To
29 accomplish the same space as a 5-disk raid5 you'd need 8 disks. Sure,
30 read performance would be vastly superior, but if you're going to
31 spend $300 more on hard drives and whatever it takes to get so many
32 SATA ports on your system you could instead add an extra 32GB of RAM
33 or put your OS on a mirrored SSD. I suspect that both of those
34 options on a typical workload are going to make a far bigger
35 improvement in performance.
36
37 Which is better really depends on your workload. In my case much of
38 my raid space is used my mythtv, or for storage of stuff I only
39 occasionally use. In these use cases the performance of the raid5 is
40 more than adequate, and I'd rather be able to keep shows around for an
41 extra 6 months in HD than have the DVR respond a millisecond faster
42 when I hit play. If you really have sustained random access of the
43 bulk of your data than a raid1 would make much more sense.
44
45 > So several points on btrfs:
46 >
47 > 1) It's still in heavy development.
48
49 That is what is keeping me away. I won't touch it until I can use it
50 with raid5, and the first common containing that hit the kernel weeks
51 ago I think (and it has known gaps). Until it is stable I'm sticking
52 with my current setup.
53
54 > 2) RAID levels work QUITE a bit differently on btrfs. In particular,
55 > what btrfs calls raid1 mode (with the same applying to raid10) is simply
56 > two-way-mirroring, NO MATTER THE NUMBER OF DEVICES. There's no multi-way
57 > mirroring yet available
58
59 Odd, for some reason I thought it let you specify arbitrary numbers of
60 copies, but looking around I think you're right. It does store two
61 copies of metadata regardless of the number of drives unless you
62 override this.
63
64 However, if one considered raid1 expensive, having multiple layers of
65 redundancy is REALLY expensive if you aren't using Reed Solomon and
66 many data disks.
67
68 From my standpoint I don't think raid1 is the best use of money in
69 most cases, either for performance OR for data security. If you want
70 performance the money is probably better spent on other components.
71 If you want data security the money is probably better spent on
72 offline backups. However, this very-much depends on how the disks
73 will be used - there are certainly cases where raid1 is your best
74 option.
75
76 Rich