From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.8 USB Disconnect
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 23:23:07
1 On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:42:18 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > As far as the bug goes - could it be a result of the hardware being
6 > told to go to sleep due to non-use?
9 Thanks for the replies.
10
11 I booted with Gentoo LiveDVD and did not see the "USB disconnect" messages,
12 and I also noticed that Gentoo starts the gpm mouse at boot up.
13
14 I then added the gpm start to my init scripts and when I boot my system
15 the problem disappears. I now do not see the "USB disconnect" messages
16 in console mode.
17
18 Here is the start command I added:
19
20 /usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2
21
22 Also, the problem seems not limited to kernel-3.8.x. I always keep the
23 previous kernel available and the same problem happens when booting with
24 kernel-3.7. If I can find the time I may try to compile some earlier kernels
25 and test those.
26
27 But running gpm from the boot script seems to prevent whatever event was
28 producing those "USB disconnect" messages. If the mouse is not "grabbed"
29 by something it somehow disconnects.
30
31 Frank Peters