From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Best Desktop Patchset for kernel
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 02:42:13
1 On 10/4/05, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 05 October 2005 03:37, Jared Lindsay wrote:
3 > > I really like nitro-sources. They aren't supported in any official way, but
4 > > you can find them in the Unsupported Software section on the Gentoo Forums.
5 > > The current release is 2.6.13.2-nitro1 ("Down with latency"), but I would
6 > > maybe advise waiting until nitro2 comes out (seppe, the maintainer, said it
7 > > would hopefully be soon), as it will fix a lagging issue with the ck5
8 > > patchset.
9 >
10 > nitro?
11 > aren't that the ones who like to destroy filesystems?
12 >
13 > btw - lower latency = lower throughput = lower overall performance.
14
15 lower latency = lower throughput == YES
16
17 lower throughput = lower overall performance == NOT NECESSARILY
18
19 It depends on how you measure performance. For me performance means
20 that real time audio, such as vocals from a singer, flow through the
21 machine without being delayed enough for the singer to hear the delay.
22 That's performance since without it the machine is useless.
23
24 Granted, I get fewer MIPS, etc., but the machine's performance, as I
25 measure it, is higher.
26
27 Cheers,
28 Mark