From: Jared Lindsay <cinder.sub@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Best Desktop Patchset for kernel
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 03:42:13
1 Eh? Like to destroy filesystems? Not sure what nitro you're talking about...
2
3 On 10/4/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > On 10/4/05, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
6 > wrote:
7 > > On Wednesday 05 October 2005 03:37, Jared Lindsay wrote:
8 > > > I really like nitro-sources. They aren't supported in any official
9 > way, but
10 > > > you can find them in the Unsupported Software section on the Gentoo
11 > Forums.
12 > > > The current release is 2.6.13.2-nitro1 ("Down with latency"), but I
13 > would
14 > > > maybe advise waiting until nitro2 comes out (seppe, the maintainer,
15 > said it
16 > > > would hopefully be soon), as it will fix a lagging issue with the ck5
17 > > > patchset.
18 > >
19 > > nitro?
20 > > aren't that the ones who like to destroy filesystems?
21 > >
22 > > btw - lower latency = lower throughput = lower overall performance.
23 >
24 > lower latency = lower throughput == YES
25 >
26 > lower throughput = lower overall performance == NOT NECESSARILY
27 >
28 > It depends on how you measure performance. For me performance means
29 > that real time audio, such as vocals from a singer, flow through the
30 > machine without being delayed enough for the singer to hear the delay.
31 > That's performance since without it the machine is useless.
32 >
33 > Granted, I get fewer MIPS, etc., but the machine's performance, as I
34 > measure it, is higher.
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Mark