From: Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrade an old system
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 14:49:04
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
2 > On Mittwoch 06 Mai 2009, Mark Haney wrote:
3 >> Duncan, you talk about tmpfs and I'm suddenly interested in trying this
4 >> out. My question is, how much space do you allocate for the tmpfs? I
5 >> know it'll fall back to swap if I'm out of space there, but what works
6 >> well for you? I have (currently) 1GB RAM on this system, but I'm
7 >> getting ready to order more to get me to 4GB.
10 > 2gb. That is enough for almost everything. Not enough for openoffice.
11 > tmpfs 2,0G 3,2M 2,0G 1% /var/tmp/portage
12 > tmpfs 1,0G 116K 1,0G 1% /tmp
13
14 I have tmpfs setup with no limit on a 3GB (4GB, really, but it's x86)
15 no-swap system, and it works very well; OpenOffice and xulrunner-1.9
16 being the only things I can recall that won't build in that config.
17
18 On a VM with only 512MB RAM, recently, I enabled tmpdir immediately
19 after getting stage3 up, and found that I had ran out of space building
20 only:
21
22 - gcc-4.1.2
23 - glibc (whatever current x86 stable is)
24 - xorg-server-1.3.?? (this was *just* before xorg-1.5)
25 - emacs-22.1
28 ...jsled
29 http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}