From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:08:06
1 On 9/20/05, Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:58 -0400, Billy Holmes wrote:
3 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > Thanks. Yes, I've run ck-sources a few times in the past but not had
5 > >
6 > > when you run with ck-sources, others have found it's best to use
7 > > SCHED_ISO rather than SCHED_NORM (ck was patched with ISO support) -
8 > > which is like real time scheduling for users processes. From what I hear
9 > > it's easier to setup than the rt limits stuff (ie. it's automatic).
10 >
11 > Much more important is to run emerge as SCHED_BATCH. I do this, and it
12 > keeps emerge for effecting my interactivity (including skips in
13 > audio/video) at all.
14 > --
15 > Daniel Gryniewicz
16
17 Daniel,
18 This makes sense but I've never heard of doing this before. How
19 does one run emerge as a SCHED_BATCH process?
20
21 None the less, when recording in Ardour I'll be doing a reasonable
22 amount of disk I/O. Not so much bandwitch - probably never more than
23 5-10MB/S on large recordings, but still it's a large number of audio
24 files and therefore more disk seeking, etc., so I'll want the whole
25 disk subsystem working well.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Mark