From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: icedtea6 and seamonkey
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:52:22
1 2008/12/17 Stan Sander <stsander@×××××.net>:
2 > Beso wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2008/12/17 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Stan Sander <stsander@×××××.net> posted 49486325.5090601@×××××.net,
8 >>> excerpted below, on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:25:41 -0700:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> eselect java-nsplugin list
13 >>>> Available 32-bit Java browser plugins
14 >>>> [1] emul-linux-x86-java-1.6 current [2]
15 >>>> emul-linux-x86-java-1.6-plugin2
16 >>>> Available 64-bit Java browser plugins
17 >>>> [1] icedtea6 current
18 >>>>
19 >>>> But, here is where I'm at a loss and hoping someone can kick me in the
20 >>>> right direction. When I launch my 64-bit seamonkey and do about:plugins
21 >>>> icedtea6 doesn't show up and pages with java applets indicate I need a
22 >>>> java plugin.
23 >>>>
24 >>>
25 >>> Take a look at flameeyes' blog. He had a writeup on 64-bit icedtea and
26 >>> some of the remaining hurdles to getting it really working properly on
27 >>> amd64, probably a couple weeks ago.
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> well, maybe normal users or users who don't really care about
32 >> proprietaryware
33 >> would do better to wait for the latest java update to hit portage,
34 >> since it includes
35 >> an official sun java nsplugin for 64bits.
36 >> as for iced tea i think that it's the same of openjdk. am i wrong on this?
40 > Thanks Duncan and Beso. I knew I could count on you guys. :D
41 > I already read through flameeyes' blog, but was just hoping that I was
42 > missing
43 > something simple or someone else on this list had it working. Perhaps the
44 > best thing
45 > to do is wait for update 12 to sun's java and the 64-bit plugin that will
46 > come with it.
47 > ('Bout darned time!!)
48 > After that, the next project will be to dump the multilib profile.
49 >
50 well, for me icedtea works as long as you remove any gcj from the system and
51 just compile gcc with gcj use flag, and this will take a very huge
52 amount of time,
53 let's say that you could go to town (about 15km of distance) for
54 christmass shopping
55 and then get back and you'll still have it working, especially if
56 you're on multilib.
57 you'll then need the original sun jdk to compile icedtea6 from java
58 overlay. if you
59 follow this and build icedtea6 with sunjdk then it will quite build
60 and work until
61 the new java update will be released. just remember that icedtea6 takes a huge
62 amount of time to build too and i don't really know if it really
63 worths rebuilding it.
66 dott. ing. beso