From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Microcode-ctl Problems
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 02:00:33
1 On 12/11/2009 09:31 PM, Frank Peters wrote:
2 > After failing to receive any kind of answer from various sources, including
3 > the developers themselves, I though that I would bring up the issue here.
4 >
5 > Does the microcode_ctl utility work on the x86_64 processor, and in particular
6 > the Core 2 quad? If so, then how can it be successfully implemented?
7 >
8 > [...]
9 >
10 > Microcode_ctl is available for Gentoo AMD64 and there are no indications
11 > anywhere that it does _not_ work on a 64-bit system. What needs to
12 > be done to get it to load the new firmware and why does the module
13 > take three minutes to load?
14 >
15 > Microcode_ctl is far from being a popular or even essential utility
16 > but someone must have some knowledge of its function. I recall that
17 > it used to work nicely on a 32-bit machine but since I switched to pure
18 > 64-bit I can no longer use it.
19
20 I can't offer much help other than the assurance that it works on
21 64-bit. I've been using it to keep my CPU's microcode updated for quite
22 a while. It's a Core 2 Duo though, not Quad, running Gentoo ~amd64.