From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: AMD64 - 2.6.14-rc2-rt7 - great for real time audio
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:25:37
1 On 9/30/05, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Tres Melton posted <1128118297.6208.265.camel@×××××××××.org>, excerpted
3 > below, on Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:11:37 -0600:
4 >
5 > > You have had so many problems with the other kernels doing this stuff
6 > > and now that you have found a good one I really think that you should
7 > > compose a message entitled "Latencies in the kernel" and post a summary
8 > > of your experiences with the various kernels to the LKML. I think that
9 > > it would benefit the developers (and all of us) to know that the kernel
10 > > seems to be tuned rather nicely now to tasking these things. Anyway,
11 > > I'm glad that it is working for you.
12
13 Yes, I've now moved a bit forward to 2.6.14-rc3-rt1. It seems to be
14 working slightly better. On the previous 2.6.14-rc2-rt7 I had a few
15 times where I got a short burst of xruns. This happened at sort of odd
16 times, but it happened. While I've only run the new one since
17 yesterday I've seen this happen fewer times, and with fewer xruns. Not
18 sure I trust data like that, but it's what I've seen.
19
20 As for writing the LKML, I could do that. I have reported that these
21 kernels are working pretty well. I think I'd like to build Con
22 Kolivas's kernel from source, just to ensure that any patches put
23 there by gentoo are not the cause of the problems I'm seeing. Jack is
24 possibly being given real time priorities than these other kernels
25 I've just built, or so I think. Not at all sure. Don't want to say
26 much more about that until I know more. These email threads have a way
27 of lasting for years and becoming urban legends. So many people seem
28 happy with ck-sources so I think if it doesn't work for me it must be
29 me.
32 > Note that it's not the vanilla kernel, but the vanilla kernel with the
33 > real-time patches.
34 >
35 > Still, yes, posting something to LKML is a good idea, as one of the
36 > ongoing debates has to do with the merits of the various real-time patches
37 > as opposed to other factors, and this sort of direct user testimony could
38 > be influential. Of course, don't be surprised if you immediately get
39 > asked to do testing on RT related stuff!
40
41 Yes, I have to watch out for this. I recently signed up to look after
42 some audio apps under Wine. I think that will keep me quite busy.
45 > (Noting that I dont' follow LKML directly, but do follow happenings in
46 > general thru LWN's weekly coverage and occasionally find myself browsing
47 > various LKML threads as well.)
48
49 Thanks for writing.
50