From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT: CPU Temperature
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:40:06
1 On Sat, October 15, 2005 2:27 pm, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
2 > Motherboard sensors indicate that the CPU core is running at a constant
3 > 65 degrees Celcius and this figure does not change more than a degree
4 >
5 > Should I be worried about these figures? The heatsink feels only
6 > slightly warm to the touch and I am sure it is seated correctly so I
7 > wonder if the BIOS is reporting the right temperatures. Does anyone have
8 > the same board that can help me out here?
11 Well, either it isn't seated correctly or doesn't have thermal compound
12 and so the heatsink isn't at the same temperature as the CPU, or the
13 sensor is worthless. My money is on the latter if you're sure you know
14 what you're doing. If you touch something at 65C you're going to notice
15 it FAST - set your kitchen oven to a low setting and try touching the rack
16 (then again, don't - I don't need a lawsuit).
17
18 If your BIOS can display CPU temp, try looking at it right after a cold
19 start. I would think that shouldn't be that hot until at least a minute
20 or two of real work is done.
21
22 A few months ago I was having heat issues when I'd make the box work real
23 hard. It would hit about 60C and sometime later it would get flaky.
24 Since then I've tried to avoid over-multitasking. My guess is that a new
25 RAM module I installed is responsible...
26 --
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list