From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sudden sound loss
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:24:29
1 On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Raffaele BELARDI
2 <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 07:16 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
4 > > Well for me, the trick in alsamixer is to look at the bottom of each
5 > > 'bar graph' and see if it has 'MM' in it instead of the infinity symbol.
6 > > I am pretty sure that's a standard set of symbols for that. The 'MM'
7 > > is for muted' and the infinity symbol is for unmuted.
10 > I have a question related to alsamixer, although not related to the
11 > subject.
12 >
13 > On my box with VIA chipset, alsamixer has a 'spread front to surround'
14 > control that duplicates the same signal on front and surround output
15 > jacks.
16 >
17 > There is no similar control on the box with the NVIDIA 430. Is it a
18 > configuration problem on my side? Anybody know how could I obtain the
19 > same effect without that control?
20 >
21 > raf
24 The controls shown in alsamixer are based on hardware features
25 revealed by the driver. My guess is that the nvidia 430 doesn't have
26 this feature, or it's driver hasn't turned it on by default. Possibly
27 there is a module parameter switch that shows up with modinfo that you
28 could play with?
29
30 If you think the hardware supports this feature but the driver isn't
31 enabling it then your best bet would be to contact the alsa developers
32 to look for some support. (Or do it yourself if you have the skill
33 set!)
34
35 cheers,
36 Mark