From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sudden sound loss
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:31:48
1 On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 06:24 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > The controls shown in alsamixer are based on hardware features
3 > revealed by the driver. My guess is that the nvidia 430 doesn't have
4 > this feature, or it's driver hasn't turned it on by default. Possibly
5 > there is a module parameter switch that shows up with modinfo that you
6 > could play with?
7 >
8 > If you think the hardware supports this feature but the driver isn't
9 > enabling it then your best bet would be to contact the alsa developers
10 > to look for some support. (Or do it yourself if you have the skill
11 > set!)
12 >
13 > cheers,
14 > Mark
15
16 Actually it's the ADC/DAC that performs the mixing (the AD1986A in this
17 case). I checked the chip specs, it supports spreading 2ch over 6ch so
18 probably the feature is not yet supported by ALSA. Also some search in
19 the Gentoo forums confirm this
20 (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-414308-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html)
21
22 Thanks anyway, it cleared my ideas!