From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Mplayer
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 03:41:15
1 On Thursday 31 August 2006 11:39, "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: Mplayer':
3 > "Lorenzo Milesi" <lorenzo.milesi@×××××.com> posted
4 > 29c147bd0608310413t733964fau1b0fee1d9410a7c4@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:13:54 +0200:
6 > > Does anyone of you use ~amd64 up up to date and have problems with
7 > > mplayer?
8 >
9 > I use xine
10 > and don't have mplayer merged at all. Why? xine "just works" for more
11 > stuff.
12
13 IME, I also find that xine "just works" for more stuff, which is why I use
14 kaffeine as my default player. It uses the xine engine by default but can
15 be switched over to various other engines as needed.
16
17 I also have kmplayer and mplayer-plug-in hanging arounf my system, but
18 kaffeine gets FAR more use.
21 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
22 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
23 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
24 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh