From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with USB-Keyboard at Install
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:48:26
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0908030920p36508cf8n8b95915c367a18e6@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:20:35 -0700:
4
5 > Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >> Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted:
7 >>> Lance Lassetter<lancelassetter@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Have you tried enabling evdev in make.conf under INPUT_DEVICES?
10 >>>
11 >>> How could he do this when he's trying to boot from an install CD?
12 >>
13 >> Hmm, mount the ISO using loopback, make the change, umount, burn?
14
15 > So I guess you are suggesting that someone doing a Gentoo install,
16 > and finding that the install CD fails to work, is then possibly going to
17 > modify the install CD?
18 >
19 > Beyond that what make.conf are we speaking about? As I asked over
20 > the weekend, and as far as I can tell, there is no make.conf on the
21 > install CD to modify. (With the keyboard we don't have because we're
22 > running USB unless this is a completely different installation on the
23 > same machine, or we're doing it on a different machine.)
24 >
25 > Maybe I'm underestimating INPUT_DEVICES but I thought that was only
26 > for xorg-server which isn't running when the install CD finishes booting
27 > is it? Even if the OP had done what you suggested, had enough knowledge
28 > of Gentoo to think about creating a make.conf file and placing "keyboard
29 > mouse evdev" in it, burned a new copy, and then rebooted, what changes
30 > about the environment that is running at that point?
31 >
32 > I'm really confused and I know this because you are, no joke here,
33 > one of my Gentoo guiding lights! Enlighten me! Please!
34
35 Your points are valid (well, I'll take that guiding light thing at face
36 value, thanks, but the rest anyway is valid, AFAIK), but that's not
37 really what I was commenting on.
38
39 Seeing as he had already solved the problem, I was jumping into less
40 serious mode, and the bit about not writing to a CD struck my fancy.
41 As it happens, I do pretty much just what I described with a floppy image
42 when I update my BIOS.
43
44 My board's BIOS update is designed to install from DOS (it's a several
45 years' old server board, after all), but I'm MICROS~1 free, so the first
46 BIOS update I did I had to find a different solution. What I came up
47 with was a FreeDOS 1.44 MB floppy OEM image, just the basics, no high
48 memory stuff or anything else that might interfere with the BIOS update.
49
50 So then I had a 1.44 MB floppy image, but the DOS binaries, etc on it
51 only take a couple hundred KB, the rest is free space, but in the image,
52 and a second set of files including the BIOS update *.bin image the DOS
53 based updater executable, and a DOS batch file that together are smaller
54 than the free space on my bootable FreeDOS image, but shipped separately
55 in their own 1.44 MB floppy image.
56
57 Well, rather than write out two separate floppy images to actual
58 floppies, I simply mounted the BIOS update one using the loopback and
59 copied the files to my main system's filesystem, then umounted that
60 image, now leaving me with separate files and my FreeDOS image. Then I
61 mounted the FreeDOS image read/write on the loopback and copied the
62 update files over to it, let it finish the write, and umount. Viola!
63 Single bootable FreeDOS floppy image, now including the BIOS update files
64 I needed.
65
66 I could then copy that image directly to a floppy using dd, write protect
67 it, boot the floppy, and do my update. Since that point I've updated the
68 BIOS further another time or two, only now I already have a proven
69 bootable image, so I don't have to download a new version of FreeDOS,
70 only the BIOS update, then use a similar procedure to copy the new files
71 to a fresh copy of the FreeDOS image, and overwrite my old floppy with
72 the new combined image. (Given floppy technology, I trust overwriting
73 then verifying the new image in its entirety, far more than I would
74 simply deleting the old update files directly on the floppy and adding
75 the new ones.)
76
77 I've done the same thing with CD/DVD ISO images as well, only since
78 they're cheaper and faster to write than CD-RW/CD+RW, I use burn-once
79 discs, and just burn a new one if I need to make changes to the ISO.
80
81 So when I saw a post that to me implied that the ISO was read-only, I
82 simply pointed out that the ISO could be mounted on the loopback and
83 modified that way before actually burning it. Just because it's an ISO
84 image and we're used to thinking of them as CD/DVDs, and used to thinking
85 of CD/DVDs as write-once, doesn't mean that the ISOs themselves can't be
86 modified before they are burned. That's really all I was pointing out.
87
88 So the bit about whether the file in question was actually there on the
89 ISO image to modify, or whether having put it there, it'd actually be of
90 any use (whether there was an xorg setup to run on the ISO at all), was
91 really beside the point for me. That wasn't what I was concerned with,
92 especially since I'd seen that the problem was already solved. I was
93 simply pointing out that an ISO image isn't necessarily read-only data,
94 and that it /can/ be modified. Realizing that at some point many years
95 ago was an epiphany of sorts for me, and given what seemed an implication
96 that it couldn't be done, I was simply passing on that hey, ISOs CAN be
97 modified. =;^)
98
99 Clear as mud? =;^)
104 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman