From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with USB-Keyboard at Install
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:00:34
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 > 5bdc1c8b0908030920p36508cf8n8b95915c367a18e6@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on  Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:20:35 -0700:
5 >
6 >> Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
7 >>> Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted:
8 >>>> Lance Lassetter<lancelassetter@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> Have you tried enabling evdev in make.conf under INPUT_DEVICES?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> How could he do this when he's trying to boot from an install CD?
13 >>>
14 >>> Hmm, mount the ISO using loopback, make the change, umount, burn?
15 >
16 >>    So I guess you are suggesting that someone doing a Gentoo install,
17 >> and finding that the install CD fails to work, is then possibly going to
18 >> modify the install CD?
19 >>
20 >>    Beyond that what make.conf are we speaking about? As I asked over
21 >> the weekend, and as far as I can tell, there is no make.conf on the
22 >> install CD to modify. (With the keyboard we don't have because we're
23 >> running USB unless this is a completely different installation on the
24 >> same machine, or we're doing it on a different machine.)
25 >>
26 >>    Maybe I'm underestimating INPUT_DEVICES but I thought that was only
27 >> for xorg-server which isn't running when the install CD finishes booting
28 >> is it? Even if the OP had done what you suggested, had enough knowledge
29 >> of Gentoo to think about creating a make.conf file and placing "keyboard
30 >> mouse evdev" in it, burned a new copy, and then rebooted, what changes
31 >> about the environment that is running at that point?
32 >>
33 >>    I'm really confused and I know this because you are, no joke here,
34 >> one of my Gentoo guiding lights! Enlighten me! Please!
35 >
36 > Your points are valid (well, I'll take that guiding light thing at face
37 > value, thanks, but the rest anyway is valid, AFAIK), but that's not
38 > really what I was commenting on.
39
40 You should always assume GLS (Guiding Light Status) when conversing
41 with me. :-)
44 > Seeing as he had already solved the problem,
45
46 Which I had not read at the time I responded....
47
48 > I was jumping into less
49 > serious mode, and the bit about not writing to a CD struck my fancy.
52 Fair enough.
53
54 I'm interested in the problems of installing Gentoo, whatever they
55 tend to be, as I'm one of the ever dwindling number of vocal Gentoo
56 supporters in the pro-audio community. (They are all leaving for Arch
57 or Ubuntu variants it seems) One acquaintance ask me about installing
58 64-bit Gentoo last week and specifically asked about new hardware
59 issues. Seemed to me that the OP's USB keyboard issue might be fairly
60 common so I wanted to try to solve it here, if possible. Seems it
61 wasn't unfortunately.
62
63 Anyway, good to know that I'm not *totally* off base with my view of
64 what these little bits of software do, and your point is interesting.
65 One thing that would be possible would be to do the setup as you
66 suggest, then zcat the running config to a .config file, go to the web
67 and get kernel source, compile the source with any changes required,
68 and then (possibly) install that kernel into whatever part of the iso
69 image necessary to make it an option for booting.
70
71 Still, installing from some other distro that actually works seems
72 easier and why, by the way, does that other distro support
73 installation for the OP when Gentoo does not? Seems strange to me....
74
75 Cheers,
76 Mark