From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with USB-Keyboard at Install
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:54:50
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0908031600p4ba190b0ya560748a6d636126@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:00:32 -0700:
4
5 > Still, installing from some other distro that actually works seems
6 > easier and why, by the way, does that other distro support installation
7 > for the OP when Gentoo does not? Seems strange to me....
8
9 Really, I never did figure out why Gentoo bothers with a LiveCD at all,
10 except to be able to say it's eating its own dogfood, as they say. It's
11 perfectly doable to boot one of the other LiveCD versions, do the setup
12 thru filesystem format and mount, download the stage tarball to the newly
13 setup filesystem, and go from there. Doing that is one of the options in
14 the alternate installation guide, last I looked anyway, and is about what
15 I did as I said only in my case I was running Mandrake on other
16 partitions on the hard drive, and used it instead of a different LiveCD
17 to do the initial partitioning, etc.
18
19 That would be far simpler and less hassle than trying to keep a working
20 LiveCD, when doing a LiveCD isn't your specialty, as it isn't with
21 Gentoo. And that could be made the installation method covered in the
22 main handbook reasonably easily, as well. But, as I said, there IS a
23 degree of integrity to be seen in having and using your own, and I
24 suspect that's why Gentoo continues to offer it.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman