From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with USB-Keyboard at Install
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:10:09
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 > 5bdc1c8b0908031600p4ba190b0ya560748a6d636126@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:00:32 -0700:
5 >
6 >> Still, installing from some other distro that actually works seems
7 >> easier and why, by the way, does that other distro support installation
8 >> for the OP when Gentoo does not? Seems strange to me....
9 >
10 > Really, I never did figure out why Gentoo bothers with a LiveCD at all,
11 > except to be able to say it's eating its own dogfood, as they say. It's
12 > perfectly doable to boot one of the other LiveCD versions, do the setup
13 > thru filesystem format and mount, download the stage tarball to the newly
14 > setup filesystem, and go from there. Doing that is one of the options in
15 > the alternate installation guide, last I looked anyway, and is about what
16 > I did as I said only in my case I was running Mandrake on other
17 > partitions on the hard drive, and used it instead of a different LiveCD
18 > to do the initial partitioning, etc.
19 >
20 > That would be far simpler and less hassle than trying to keep a working
21 > LiveCD, when doing a LiveCD isn't your specialty, as it isn't with
22 > Gentoo. And that could be made the installation method covered in the
23 > main handbook reasonably easily, as well. But, as I said, there IS a
24 > degree of integrity to be seen in having and using your own, and I
25 > suspect that's why Gentoo continues to offer it.
26
27 Costello: Hey, Abbott!
28 Abbot: Yes, Lou?
29 Costello: I just heard about Linux and I wanted to try installing it.
30 Abbot: That's great Lou. What distro are you planning for?
31 Costello: Gentoo. But I know nothing about Linux!!
32 Abbot: You will in time.
33 Costello: That's exactly why I am here to see you.
34 Abbot: Oh?
35 Costello: I heard that you are a real computer expert.
36 Abbot: Well, I don't know-
37 Costello: Yes-sir-ee. You know your stuff. And you're going to train me.
38 Abbot: Really?
39 Costello: Uh huh. And I am here for my first lesson.
40 Abbot: O.K. Lou. What do you want to know?
41 Costello: I am having problems with installing Gentoo. I heard you need
42 to use a CD?
43 Abbot: That's true.
44 Costello: So, here I am working on my new computer to install Gentoo.
45 What do I do?
46 Abbot: Well, first you go to mandriva.com and-
47 Costello: No, I told you, I want to install Gentoo.
48 Abbot: I know, you go to mandriva.com-
49 Costello: Wait a second. I want to install Gentoo. Gentoo. I'm not
50 interested in Mandriva. So tell me what to do.
51 Abbot: I did.
52 Costello: When?
53 Abbot: When I told you to go to mandriva.com.
54 Costello: Why should I mandriva.com?
55 Abbot: To install Gentoo.
56 Costello: I go to mandriva.com to install Gentoo.
57 Abbot: Well you don't actually install Mandriva.
58 Costello: I knew it! So what do I download?
59 Abbot: Mandriva LiveCD.
60 Costello: Mandriva what?
61 Abbot: Mandriva LiveCD.
62 Costello: Mandriva LiveCD to do what?
63 Abbot: Install Gentoo.
64 Costello: You don't have to get rude!
65 Abbot: No, no, no! That's not what I meant.
66 Costello: Then say what you mean.
67 Abbot: To install Gentoo, go to-
68 Costello: Don't say it, ''mandriva.com!''
69 Abbot: Then what do you want me to say?
70 Costello: Look, if I want to install Gentoo, I am willing to
71 go to gentoo.com, or gentoo.org, but
72 no one in their right mind downloaded Mandriva to install Gentoo.
73 Abbot: But that's what you do.
74 Costello: And you probably go to gentoo.org to install Mandriva, and
75 apple.com to install Windows.
76 Abbot: Don't be ridiculous.
77 Costello: I am being ridiculous? Well. I think it's about time we
78 go to apple.com.
79 Abbot: What are you talking about?
80 Costello: I'm sick of oranges. Good-bye.
81
82 Shamelessly adapted from: http://www.ajokes.com/jokes/276.html