From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with USB-Keyboard at Install
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:20:36
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 > 5bdc1c8b0908030725l402032d6l28d3869ee3f059b6@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on  Mon, 03 Aug 2009 07:25:02 -0700:
5 >
6 >> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Lance
7 >> Lassetter<lancelassetter@×××××.com> wrote: <SNIP>
8 >>>
9 >>> Have you tried enabling evdev in make.conf under INPUT_DEVICES?
10 >>>
11 >>> i.e. in make.conf:
12 >>>
13 >>> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
14 >>>
15 >> ???
16 >>
17 >> How could he do this when he's trying to boot from an install CD?
18 >
19 > Hmm, mount the ISO using loopback, make the change, umount, burn?
20 >
21 > (He did say he got around it using SuSE instead of a Gentoo LiveCD, which
22 > is what I did back in 2004 with Mandrake, as well.  But I thought the
23 > question was still interesting enough to answer.  Just because it's an
24 > ISO doesn't mean it can't be changed. =;^)
27 Duncan,
28 So I guess you are suggesting that someone doing a Gentoo install,
29 and finding that the install CD fails to work, is then possibly going
30 to modify the install CD?
31
32 Beyond that what make.conf are we speaking about? As I asked over
33 the weekend, and as far as I can tell, there is no make.conf on the
34 install CD to modify. (With the keyboard we don't have because we're
35 running USB unless this is a completely different installation on the
36 same machine, or we're doing it on a different machine.)
37
38 Maybe I'm underestimating INPUT_DEVICES but I thought that was only
39 for xorg-server which isn't running when the install CD finishes
40 booting is it? Even if the OP had done what you suggested, had enough
41 knowledge of Gentoo to think about creating a make.conf file and
42 placing "keyboard mouse evdev" in it, burned a new copy, and then
43 rebooted, what changes about the environment that is running at that
44 point?
45
46 I'm really confused and I know this because you are, no joke here,
47 one of my Gentoo guiding lights! Enlighten me! Please!
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark