From: Barry Walsh <bwalsh@××××××.ie>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] persistent-net.rules
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 10:39:46
1 Bernhard Auzinger wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > does somebody know how to prevent the persistent-net.rules to be saved during
5 > the shutdown process?
6 >
7 > The background is that I have a network interface with a faulty mac adress
8 > (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) on a K8N Neo2 (nforce3 ultra). So the kernel applys a
9 > random mac address to the network interface on every boot. At the shutdown
10 > process a entry with the randomly generated mac address will be written
11 > into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. And that's my problem,
12 > because at the next boot another mac address will be applied to the network
13 > interface which does not match the one saved to persistent-net.rules and udev
14 > does not provide an interface eth0.
15 >
16 > rgds
17 > Bernhard
18 >
19 Possibly a fix for the MAC address, on the BIOS screen, press shift+f2
20 then alt+f3 which should reveal extra settings, including the option to
21 enter your own choice of MAC address for the nVidia adapter. The
22 original mac address should be on a sticker above the paralell port. You
23 don't mention which K8N neo2, so you may have two onboard NICs, and the
24 stickers MAC address will only be for one of them, the other being a
25 digit lower.
26 --
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list