From: dustin@×××××××.us
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:07:29
1 On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:04:30AM -0400, Peter Davoust wrote:
2 > Ok, first, while I appreciate your advice, this is a brand new laptop
3 > and there's no way I'm running bonnie++ (that's prime95, right?), or
4 > anything with the words "cpu" and "burn" in the same sentence on this
5 > thing. Memtest86 might be an option as long as it has no potential to
6 > kill anything. I agree, it could be the heat, and that was the first
7 > thing that came to my mind, but Vista boots and runs for long periods
8 > of time with no issues. I'll check it out with the new kernel in the
9 > morning and see what it does.
10
11 Any new laptop should have the hardware smarts not to smoke itself, or
12 something really is broken. It may shut down "unexpectedly" (which I
13 also consider a design bug), but actually causing damage is unlikely.
14
15 That said, this really sounds like a RAM problem, so I would run
16 memtest86 first. Memtest86 has zero chance of smoking any system that
17 has passed a factory QA check.
18
19 I had a Gentoo system (a server) that pretty much ran (to be honest, it
20 was a heavily used database server that stayed up for a good 3 months in
21 this state). However, its clock was skewed something like 10m/hour (I
22 now think this was due to lost ticks during processing of memory
23 faults).
24
25 I tried all the various kernel flags, largemem, etc., only to find out
26 that the problem was (as others on this thread have posted) incompatible
27 RAM. I point this out only to say that bad RAM can cause *very* unusual
28 problems (not just the segfaults you'd expect), and to say that lots of
29 complex operations (like Vista, for example) can continue to run just
30 fine in such a broken environment.
31
32 Dustin
33 --