From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kernel 2.6.16-rc1, rc2 (vanilla), no keyboard (atkbd)!
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:27:00
1 Mark Knecht posted
2 <5bdc1c8b0602110857w5da1fcaaj833f0cad2994c1c4@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:57:11 -0800:
4
5 > On 2/11/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >> Has anyone else gotten either kernel 2.6.16-rc1 or rc2 successfully
7 >> working? I haven't been able to get either one going. I forgot what the
8 >> problem was with the first one for sure, but just spend several hours
9 >> trying to massage -rc2 into working, without success.
10 >>
11 >> -rc2 compiles and boots, but without a working keyboard driver!
12 >
13 > Duncan,
14 > Have you tried booting with an option called usb-handoff? My wife's
15 > machine (not an AMD64) had to start using this somewhere around
16 > 2.6.15. It seems to be a more common occurrance now from reading on
17 > the web.
18 >
19 > I don't have 2.6.16 here yet.
20
21 Well... 2.6.16-rc4 still hasn't fixed it, and neither did usb-handoff (I
22 doubted it would as both keyboard and mouse are ps2, not usb, and I have
23 legacy USB turned off in the BIOS, still worth a try).
24
25 However, I've narrowed it down to precisely the git-snapshot it happened
26 with. 2.6.15-git10 works, 2.6.15-git11 doesn't. (The git# indicates the
27 Linus development day after the named release, so that's the snapshots for
28 10 and 11 days after 2.6.15 -- there are 12 snapshots between .15 and
29 .16-rc1, so it was close to the rc1 coming out.)
30
31 I gave up tracing it myself beyond that, but I'll be filing the bug
32 probably after work 2nite, and they shouldn't have any difficulty, given I
33 narrowed it down to the day and they know what went in that day and have
34 a better idea what could affect it.
35
36 I'm running -git10 as I type this. Something's happened to alsa with it,
37 but that's probably fixed by rc4. It's also possible that I chose the
38 wrong config option (there's now a choice for old alsa API), but I'm not
39 going to bother with looking at that until the keyboard bug gets worked
40 out. Anyway, back to .15.4 after I check a couple of groups, then maybe a
41 half hour nap b4 work.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
47 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list