From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problems with Serial ATA disc
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:35:23
1 Mario A Wojcik <mariowojcik@×××××××××.ar> posted
2 44A7247C.1010403@×××××××××.ar, excerpted below, on Sat, 01 Jul 2006
3 22:42:20 -0300:
4
5 > Hello.
6 > Sorry by my english!
7 > I am trying to install gentoo from stage1, and when initiating my
8 > equipment, amd64 with mother asus, chipset via and serial ATA disc
9 > western digital of 80gb, profit not to do fdisk because I do not have
10 > /dev/xxx aiming a this.
11
12 You may do as you wish, but you know stage-1 is discouraged, correct? A
13 stage-3 install is recommended, and after an emerge --emptytree world, you
14 end up at the same place anyway.
15
16 That should not be your problem here, however, as you would still need to
17 fdisk.
18
19 > It already reviews everything and profit not to cause that it works.
20 > 1. - The serial ATA disc Places as in the bios (nonraid)
21
22 Good.
23
24 > 2. - Treatment to use it like scsi, but does not appear to me
25 > /dev/sdxx (single /dev/hdd that is the reader)
26
27 This would be the problem. It should be /dev/sdX.
28
29 > 3. - It does not appear /dev/hdx either, because law that podria to
30 > take /dev/hde
31 > 4. - It tries to load by hand module sata_via, but it does not do
32 > anything (it must be because already this loaded according to dmesg)
33 > 5. - it deals with acpi=off with equal result.
34 > Chipset is a route vt8251 Some of You podria to help me, really
35 > not that but to prove (already the books were burned to me)
36
37 You need to find someone with that chipset to help, if possible.
38
39 What is your specific motherboard/mainboard? Someone may have it. If
40 not, we can at least check the manufacturer's web site for it and
41 hopefully get all the specifications, chipset, but more also.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list