From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:11:59
1 On Sonntag 23 August 2009, Duncan wrote:
2 > Those of you kde-ers, particularly kde3-ers (aka stable kde-ers),
3 > heads-up!
4 >
5 > If you aren't aware of the current gentoo kde (especially kde3)
6 > situation, you *NEED* to subscribe to the gentoo-desktop list (normally
7 > lower activity than here, so it shouldn't be a huge burden), AND check
8 > the archives for the last couple months.
9
10 bullshit
13 > The short version: kde3 is likely going to be masked, soon, apparently
14 > very possibly before any kde4 is ever marked stable. The current plan is
15 > to leave kde3 in-tree but masked, probably until early next year, at
16 > which point it'll move to an overlay, kde-sunset or similarly named,
17 > where it'll be maintained primarily by interested users.
18
19 maybe, you you don't have to be subscribed to -desktop to find that. Anyway,
20 without an official announcement it is just a plan.
21
22 <cut unimportant crap >
25 > Of course, qt3 upon which kde3 depends is in similar or even worse shape
26 > (except that it was in arguably better shape when it went unsupported, as
27 > until then, people had been paid to keep it working, even if they'd have
28 > otherwise preferred to be working on the newer versions), apparently not
29 > supported any longer by its own (commercial FLOSS) upstream.
30
31 and here we come to the real stuff. qt3 is planned to be removed from the tree.
32 Nothing else.
35 > Unfortunately, all this is complicated by the state of kde4, in many ways
36 > a mirror image of kde3 -- specifically like a mirror image in that it's
37 > similar, but nicely reversed. kde4 is getting all sorts of developer
38 > attention, but again despite what upstream says, it's anything /but/ as
39 > stable and smoothly functional and polished as kde3 is.
40
41 bullshit
44 > I'm normally an
45 > early adopter, running ~arch and in fact often unmasking and even
46 > reaching into overlays for fresh versions, often beta or rc, sometimes
47 > even live-vcs versions direct from the upstream repositories.
48
49 you are also writing way too much.
52 >4.3 (as every kde4 version so far) is markedly
53 > better than the previous version, but there's still a LOT of broken
54 > functionality, features still rapidly evolving, etc.
55
56 extreme bullshit
59 > kde4.3 therefore at what I'd normally consider the late-beta stage.
60 > User's who actually used and depended on the previous version for
61 > anything beyond basic functionality shouldn't be upgrading yet unless
62 > they're prepared to spend HOURS, in this case, DAYS, even WEEKS,
63
64 even more bullshit.
65
66 emerge @kde4.3
67
68 some hours later: perfectly fine working kde 4.3. No bugs, stable, all
69 funtionality needed there.
70
71 So instead of talking you typical annoying much worded crap, could you please
72 point out the problems with 4.3? Examples?
73
74 > upgrading, finding fixes and workarounds for bugs, even switching to
75 > alternative software solutions at times when the functionality simply
76 > isn't there. I estimate I've spent about 80 hours on the upgrade and
77 > reconfiguring, all told.
78
79 nice. I spent maybe 3h. All told.
80
81 > switch, and users WILL need to spend SOME time reconfiguring and
82 > adapting, but perhaps 20-40 hours is reasonable, NOT 80! 80 hours, two
83 > weeks of full-time 40-hour-week equivalent work, simply indicates how
84 > immature and broken some aspects of the project still are,
85
86 and more bullshit.
87
88 So, name your examples.
89
90 And I didn't even bother to read the rest.
91
92 duncan, if I want to read a book, I buy a book, This is an INTERNATIONAL list.
93 We are not living in nightmare land where everybody's first language is
94 english.
95 Reading your emails takes more time than installing kde.
96
97 All you had said to this point could have been said in two simple sentences
98 too:
99
100 kde 3.5 is planned to go away into an overlay because qt3 is not supported
101 anymore
102 kde 4.X has still some problems.
103
104 See? See the difference to you writings? Short, compact, same message. Oh, and
105 of course I left out the bullshit.
106
107 But no, you do have to write a freaking essay.
108
109 In the future: keep it short.