From: Pawel Kraszewski <Gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:34:30
1 Dnia środa, 1 listopada 2006 13:47, Daniel Iliev napisał:
2
3 > Pawel, I didn't say something's wrong with "make install".
4 >
5 > *Nothing's wrong with "make install".*
6
7 Please, why did you take this so personal? I didn't mean to criticize you by
8 any means!
9
10 > I just prefer to do it manually. Since I'm used to the manual
11 > installation I totally forgot about "make install" and that's the reason
12 > I didn't proposed it.
13
14 Manual installation allows newbies to forget to copy/setup some stuff (as
15 system.map in our case) and this tends to end up with an unbootable or
16 incomplete system.
17
18 In my case I don't do anything "make install" doesn't do, hence prefer to use
19 the automatic install. On the other hand - I've never used genkernel stuff
20 and prefer to configure kernel by hand. So manual config, automatic install
21 is my way.
22
23 [OT] Yesterday I managed to finally compile OpenOffice on my AMD64. Boy,
24 that's the speed improvement! For successful compilation I just needed the
25 "JAVA_PKG_FORCE_VM=blackdown-jdk-1.4.2" trick.
28 Pawel Kraszewski
29 www.kraszewscy.net
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list