From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Netstat showing localhost to localhost connections
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:40:29
1 "Julien Cassette" <hazynrg@×××××.com> posted
2 5c4f3a5c0804061351o7ab513d3u3934e26bf11104b8@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 06 Apr 2008 22:51:47 +0200:
4
5 [reordered this part first]
6 > Regards.Hi,<br>I see many lines similar to these ones in my
7 > netstat:<br><br>tcp&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
8 > 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0
9 > localhost:9050&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
10
11 Please kill the crap HTML. /That/ is a security issue, and folks aware
12 of it won't be using a (local at least) client that parses it let alone
13 spits it out, for that reason. The raw HTML then looks like crap, as the
14 above should demonstrate.
15
16 Really, gmail or not, one would expect that someone interested enough in
17 security to be running tor would know not to post that HTML crap (altho I
18 guess it's easy to have it reset to html, as it's not uncommon even for
19 folks that know not to post html).
20
21 > I see many lines similar to these ones in my netstat:
22
23 [whitespace reformatted for better non-wrap posting]
24
25 > tcp 0 0 localhost:9050 localhost:48065 TIME_WAIT -
26 > tcp 0 0 localhost:8118 localhost:35457 TIME_WAIT -
27 > tcp 0 0 localhost:9050 localhost:48043 TIME_WAIT -
28 > tcp 0 0 localhost:48059 localhost:9050 TIME_WAIT -
29 > tcp 0 0 localhost:8118 localhost:35521 TIME_WAIT -
30 >
31 > Is it a security issue?
32
33 > The ports are TOR's but this stuff also appear when I use an application
34 > like Azureus for example.
35 > BTW, my machine is set as DMZ in the router, dunno if this may cause
36 > something...
37
38 localhost normally indicates connections from your computer to itself on
39 the "loopback" (lo) interface. Assuming you trust the stuff running on
40 your own computer, it SHOULDN'T be an issue, PROVIDED the localhost isn't
41 somehow faked, possible but relatively unlikely. You can double-check by
42 using the --numeric (-n) or --numeric-hosts netstat commandline options.
43 The reported IPs should then be 127/8, that is, 127.x.y.z, which is
44 reserved as localhost. However, of that entire /8 block only 127.0.0.1
45 is normally used, so most likely they'll all be 127.0.0.1.
46
47 Kyle already mentioned the --program (-p) option, which is good, but note
48 that it'll only report the programs if you own them -- unless you run the
49 netstat as root, of course.
50
51 Normally you'd not have so many localhost entries, but when you run a
52 local proxy (FWIW, I run privoxy here, but not tor, so am used to seeing
53 them from that), you do tend to get more as other things run thru it. If
54 you run a privoxy/tor chain, you'll have even more as you'll have both the
55 app/privoxy and the privoxy/tor connections, all on localhost (with the
56 tor/world connections as well, but those aren't localhost and would be
57 the same as direct app/world connections where no local proxy is used).
58
59 Then there's the connection status. TIME_WAIT indicates a connection
60 that has been completed and mostly torn down, except the system has a
61 timeout on the final piece of the tear-down to keep anything else from
62 trying to use the same socket during the period packets may still be in
63 transit, thus keeping any potential new connection from getting mixed up
64 by packets arriving for the old one. That's why the sent/received count
65 is zero -- the connection is already torn down and the sent/received
66 information lost -- it's just waiting for the timeout. (This paragraph
67 may not be absolutely correct and definitely lacks detail, but it should
68 be sufficient from a security aware sysadmin's point of view, the way I
69 and presumably you approach it. If you want technically correct, the
70 RFCs are freely available. =8^)
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
78 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list