From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Some easy sugestions to implement, I hope
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:08:27
1 On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 01:05 +0000, Nelson Batalha wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > >You're using Gentoo and haven't figured out how to chroot? :-O Please
5 > >forgive my assumptions about this, but last time I checked it was still
6 > >required to do an installation ;)
7 >
8 > Yes,I don't mean just chroot, but there's more to it to simulate catalyst,
9 > like mounting lots of directories and setting environment variables and so
10 > on (who knows what it does, I can't read python and I'm a linux noob). I
11 > have a script for it, but has some problems unmounting dirs, and is probably
12 > incomplete.
13
14 I really, really, REALLY, *REALLY* don't want to implement anything like
15 that. As I said, it's a PITA enough supporting catalyst in all the
16 millions of crazy ways people come up with using it. Making it "easy",
17 and thereby encouraging people, to poke around in the caches is the
18 absolute last thing I want to do. I'm thinking about my sanity here.
19
20 It is *very* rare that you should ever need to do anything in the cache
21 itself. For troubleshooting, the information is available via other
22 means, such as logs and temporary files that aren't deleted on failure.
23
24 > Mind you, I love your app, but it's "as easy as its harder point" -> portage
25 > emerging lots of files wo/errors seems almost impossible. I've written
26 > dozens ebuilds in the overlay, emerged pkg's on my system. Still having
27 > errors. This is normal right?
28
29 It does take Release Engineering upwards of a month to stabilize any
30 given snapshot to build a release. Maybe there's a reason for that. ;]
31
32 Hint: it isn't catalyst's fault (most of the time)
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
37 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
38 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
39 Gentoo Foundation