From: Nelson Batalha <nelson_batalha@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Some easy sugestions to implement, I hope
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:33:59
1 >I'm not following.
2
3 Ok, I'm gonna try and explain everything better (->long email :S). I'm
4 having this problem with the emerge step on the livecd stage1 target.
5
6 The thing is, it tries to emerge lots of packages and due to problems with
7 portage mostly, it results in a interrupted build. From there I can resume
8 catalyst, but unfortunately it won't allow me to go back and unmerge/rebuild
9 packages. It also doesn't allow me to -quickly- try new emerge setups like
10 doing emerge --pretend on some packages (with new use flags), see what's
11 pulling what and how.
12
13 The only options I have is to either go on and emerge more, or do it all
14 over again after changing the spec. From what is written on the website,
15 using something like tinderbox to build a livecd would be helpful, but from
16 what I read you can only use it for testing, not to use in a livecd stage2.
17
18 The ideal would be to have total control of the emerge step therefore easily
19 avoiding circular dependencies, emerge blocks of packages at a time, easily
20 find and remove unnecessary packages, etc. Well, at least as easy as in our
21 system.
22
23 I conclude from
24
25 >It does take Release Engineering upwards of a month to stabilize any
26 >given snapshot to build a release. Maybe there's a reason for that. ;]
29 this is a problem for everyone, so there is no current way to go around it
30 is there? (actual question, not rhetoric :P)
31
32 Wouldn't it be great if you could just get in and do this small step
33 yourself as an option? One could always do this only to obtain a bunch of
34 built packages and -then- do a clean build right?
35
36 So my question is, how do you build the release cd's? You do try and error
37 on ebuilds like I do, and write portage overlays? Would it be bad if you
38 could enter the cd and manually emerge stuff yourself, solving problems at
39 the moment instead of building all over again everytime portage complains?
40 Is there a problem with the current catalyst implementation that would make
41 this hard to code?
42
43 >Making it "easy", and thereby encouraging people, to poke around in the
44 >caches is the absolute last thing I want to do.
45
46 Ok instead of calling it --chroot, call it --pretend. Everything a user did
47 would be erased. No problems with touching the ccas (it forces a clean
48 build) and one could still build pkg's and "play" with emerge.
49
50 Phew :). I understand you must be full of work with the new release, reply
51 anytime, and thanks for the help.
52
53 Cheers
54
56 Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
57 http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
60 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list