From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Some easy sugestions to implement, I hope
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:20:12
1 On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 17:33 +0000, Nelson Batalha wrote:
2 > The ideal would be to have total control of the emerge step therefore easily
3 > avoiding circular dependencies, emerge blocks of packages at a time, easily
4 > find and remove unnecessary packages, etc. Well, at least as easy as in our
5 > system.
6
7 No. The ideal is to have a perfectly working snapshot with no errors in
8 it. ;]
9
10 > I conclude from
11 >
12 > >It does take Release Engineering upwards of a month to stabilize any
13 > >given snapshot to build a release. Maybe there's a reason for that. ;]
16 > this is a problem for everyone, so there is no current way to go around it
17 > is there? (actual question, not rhetoric :P)
18
19 Yes and no. We take a given snapshot and modify it to suit our needs.
20
21 > Wouldn't it be great if you could just get in and do this small step
22 > yourself as an option? One could always do this only to obtain a bunch of
23 > built packages and -then- do a clean build right?
24
25 No.
26
27 Gentoo releases *must* build 100% with *no* caches and *no* manual
28 intervention with the release snapshot. There are no exceptions.
29 Because Release Engineering has 0 need for the functionality you've
30 asked for, it isn't likely it would ever be included.
31
32 > So my question is, how do you build the release cd's? You do try and error
33 > on ebuilds like I do, and write portage overlays? Would it be bad if you
34 > could enter the cd and manually emerge stuff yourself, solving problems at
35 > the moment instead of building all over again everytime portage complains?
36
37 No. We modify the snapshot. We do massive amounts of testing.
38
39 That's pretty much it.
40
41 > Is there a problem with the current catalyst implementation that would make
42 > this hard to code?
43
44 Hard? Not necessarily.
45
46 I just don't feel like doing it since it's nothing we would ever use.
47 Catalyst *is* first and foremost Gentoo's release-building tool.
48
49 > >Making it "easy", and thereby encouraging people, to poke around in the
50 > >caches is the absolute last thing I want to do.
51 >
52 > Ok instead of calling it --chroot, call it --pretend. Everything a user did
53 > would be erased. No problems with touching the ccas (it forces a clean
54 > build) and one could still build pkg's and "play" with emerge.
55
56 We don't *want* people building packages. We don't *want* people
57 touching *anything* within the catalyst build. The goal is 100%
58 non-interactive. Anything else is a bug and the *bug* needs to be
59 fixed, not worked around.
60
61 > Phew :). I understand you must be full of work with the new release, reply
62 > anytime, and thanks for the help.
63
64 I'm replying from a "Chili's" in the George Bush International Airport
65 in Houston, Texas as I'm on my way to California for a job interview.
66 You can't say I'm not dedicated... :P
69 Chris Gianelloni
70 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
71 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
72 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
73 Gentoo Foundation