From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Stage2 spec and source_subpath var
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:29:25
1 Luca Casagrande wrote:
2 > Alle 22:12, domenica 23 luglio 2006, Andrew Gaffney ha scritto:
3 >> Luca Casagrande wrote:
4 >>> Hi to all!
5 >>> Sorry for my stupid question, but i am moving to catalyst 2.0..the
6 >>> directory to set source_subpath in the spec file, it's the one where i
7 >>> extracted the stage2 files? After chroot in it, can i add file, packages,
8 >>> etc to customize my livecd?
9 >> First, why are you extracting anything by hand? Second, why are you messing
10 >> with a stage2 in order to customize a LiveCD? What exactly are you trying
11 >> to do here?
12 >
13 > Hi Andrew and thx for your answer!
14 > I have built some live cd in the past using my gentoo install with
15 > livecd-tools of knoppix, but now i wanna use catalyst...
16 > Right now, for testing purpose, i wanna create a cd with some apps that are on
17 > portage plus some files (data sample file to use with those apps). So I
18 > unpacked the stage2 file, chroot inside it,merged all the package that i need
19 > and copied all file inside home folder (after adding a user).
20 > I thought that after this, i should run catalyst wich use my chroot as the
21 > livecd system...am I missing something?
22
23 This is exactly the kind of thing catalyst is designed to do. If you're going to
24 use catalyst, why not actually let it do its job? You can add packages into the
25 livecd environment by adding them to 'livecd/packages' in your
26 livecd-stage1.spec. In livecd-stage2, you can add users, run a custom script
27 (called the fsscript) to make other modifications, apply an overlay of files
28 into the squashfs or the ISO root, and other assorted fun things.
31 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
32 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
33 --
34 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list