From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: Re: livecd-stage1 pkgconfig
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:19:14
1 On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 14:21 -0400, Christophe PEREZ wrote:
2 > >> - create a user (with livecd/users I suppose)
3 > >
4 > > livecd/users: cperez
5 >
6 > of course.
7 > I tried that, and I have something very strange.
8 > I'm not very good at shell scripting, but when I see that, I don't find it
9 > really normal :
10 > livecd ~ # cat /root/.bashrc
11 > #!/bin/bash
12 >
13 > if [ -x /usr/bin/X ]; then
14 > if [ -e /etc/su - chris -c startx ]; then
15 > rm -f /etc/su - chris -c startx
16 > su - chris -c startx
17 > cat /etc/motd
18 > fi
19 > fi
20 >
21 > "-x /usr/bin/X", I understand, but what is that :
22 > "-e /etc/su - chris -c startx" ???
23 > My livecd/users is "chris"
24 >
25 > Of course, I always have an error at boot :
26 > .bashrc: line 4: [: too many arguments
27
28 OK. This was an oversight on my part. Here's how you can fix it
29 locally (this will be in the next catalyst)...
30
31 Edit /usr/lib/catalyst/livecd/files/livecd-bashrc and change the third
32 mention of "startx", where it is on a line of its own, to ##STARTX.
33
34 Next, edit /usr/lib/catalyst/livecd/runscript-support/livecdfs-update.sh
35 and change line 83 from:
36
37 sed -i "s/startx/su - $first_user -c startx/" /root/.bashrc
38
39 to:
40
41 sed -i "s/##STARTX/su - $first_user -c startx/" /root/.bashrc
42
43 This will resolve the bug. I didn't pay much attention to what I was
44 doing here, apparently. I apologise.
45
46 Anyway, I've now fixed this is catalyst 1.1.10.1 (the first bug fix).
47
48 > > If you follow the directions there, X will be auto-started. I might
49 > > suggest avoiding the use of the xdm init script, and instead using a
50 > > livecd/xinitrc to start X, as the build will try to execute "startx"
51 > > automatically as the first user specified in livecd/users when using
52 > > livecd/type generic-livecd.
53 >
54 > I found this solution too, but if I don't use xdm, what will execute X ?
55
56 Well, the root user is automatically logged in, and when his .bashrc is
57 executed, it will run startx, or in your case, it will run su - chris -c
58 startx to start X as user chris.
59
60 > Thank you for all your help even if you can't understand all what I mean ;-)
61
62 Hehehe.... it's all good. Sometimes the language barrier makes things
63 harder, sometimes it doesn't exist.
66 Chris Gianelloni
68 Games - Developer
69 Gentoo Linux