From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Q about portdir_overlay in Catalyst
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:28:15
1 On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 16:01 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > I had a problem with the portdir_overlay option in the snapshot section.
3 >
4 > What it appears to be doing today is merely copying in the contents of
5 > the overlay directory on top of the existing Portage directory
6 > structure. I'm certainly no Portage expert, but I don't think that's
7 > how the $PORTDIR_OVERLAY setting in Portage works, is it? I think if
8 > Portage finds a directory in $PORTDIR_OVERLAY it takes those contents
9 > and ignores any contents from the "normal" /usr/portage... doesn't it?
10
11 Well, this is a place where catalyst behavior differs from portage's.
12 If you specify portdir_overlay for your snapshot, then it is appended
13 into the snapshot. It really has nothing to do with $PORTDIR_OVERLAY
14 when used with the snapshot target.
15
16 > But, when I tried to use the portage_overlay ability of Catalyst, it
17 > broke because it copied my files into the portage directory without
18 > deleting the previous contents. Portage got upset because it found
19 > files there which weren't listed in the Manifest, and refused to merge
20 > the package.
21
22 Right. You need to copy all of the contents and digest it all.
23
24 > I fixed this by copying all the original files into my overlay, but it
25 > seems to me that Catalyst should not just copy the overlay files: it
26 > should remove the existing directory (e.g.,
27 > ...usr/portage/dev-python/quixote) first, then copy in the overlay
28 > version.
29 >
30 > Thoughts on this?
31
32 Not going to happen and here's why.
33
34 Catalyst has to work on all of our supported architectures. If you make
35 an edit that is only needed for x86, then you make a new ebuild with a
36 bumped revision that has the new functionality and leave the rest of it
37 alone.
38
39 Now, if you want portdir_overlay to act how you think it should act,
40 then do *not* use it with your snapshot target, but use it with your
41 other targets.
42
43 Remember that the snapshot target's goal is to build a single tarball.
44 It expects that you know what you're doing regarding portage
45 functionality when doing this.
48 Chris Gianelloni
50 Games - Developer
51 Gentoo Linux