From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] small distros - setups and practices?
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 15:07:06
1 On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 10:20 +0800, Max Arnold wrote:
2 > > > > Sure. In fact, I have 2 different "host types" right now, a "master"
3 > > > > and a "build host" though they can reside on the same machine.
4 > > >
5 > > > Which roles they have?
6 > >
7 > > I'm not sure that I follow. Are you asking what specific tasks would be
8 > > performed by the roles above?
9 >
10 > Yes, what specific tasks would be performed by these host types and
11 > what are benefits of such distinction?
12 >
13 > I guess a "master" purpose is to serve updates, or things are more tricky?
14
15 Yeah, you're thinking way too small. ;]
16
17 The master server will be the control interface for custom profiles and
18 binary repositories, which are built by the build servers. It will
19 (eventually) also be the configuration engine for each server. I hope
20 to eventually have a complete system capable of controlling a Gentoo
21 system from birth to death, from a centralized location.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
26 Games Developer