From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: R: [gentoo-catalyst] producing a DVD
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:37:01
1 Lanza Fabrizio wrote:
2 >> Unless catalyst has some "magic" to figure out to build an image with a
3 > UDF
4 >> filesystem instead of ISO9660 (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), you can
5 > burn a
6 >> 700MB ISO to a DVD and it will work just fine.
7 >
8 > That is exactly what I cannot do. I insert a DVD in the CD/DVD drive. I
9 > start Nero, choose "burn image", I select my .iso, and it ejects the DVD
10 > saying that I have the wrong medium, and that it is supposed to be a CD.
11 > Every CD/DVD mastering software will check what you are going to burn.
12 > If it has a CD project/filesystem, it won't burn it on a DVD.
13 > Also, since qemu does not load CDs larger than 700M... there is a
14 > problem.
15 >
16 > I also noticed a curious thing. When I mount the .iso (larger than 700M)
17 > with a program such as Daemon Tools, it won't show the filesystem. It
18 > shows as it is completely empty.
19 >
20 > I managed to convert the big .iso to a DVD .nrg with Nero, and I could
21 > burn it indeed. It boots fine, but it has the same problem that the
22 > filesystem is not visible.
23 >
24 > I would rather find out the way I can get a DVD iso with Catalyst.
25
26 I already told you. Catalyst doesn't do anything special for DVDs, and the
27 larger ISO images it generates work just fine. There is zero support for
28 creating UDF images in catalyst. Use another program to burn the image. Nero
29 obviously has an issue. Burning a larger ISO with cdrecord works without a problem.
32 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
33 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
34 --
35 gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o mailing list