From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst wishlist for 2005
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:29:50
1 On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 17:56 -0600, Michael Nygard wrote:
2 > It's a fantastic tool, very powerful, very flexible. That also makes it
3 > hard to learn.
4 >
5 > More/improved documentation. I've just spent a week getting a single
6 > livecd-stage1 build done. The instructions in the howto leave a lot of
7 > unanswered questions that have to be answered via trial and error. (And
8 > each trial takes a looong time.)
9 >
10 > How about an out-of-the-box configuration that either a) builds the last
11 > major release or b) builds an image of exactly the current system,
12 > without requiring _any_ config or spec file edits.
13 >
14 > Thanks for all the work on catalyst! It's an amazing tool, and I
15 > haven't seen anything else like it!
16 >
17 > Cheers,
18 > -Mike Nygard
21 Chris (wolf31o2) was working on this for 2004.3, but it never got
22 completed. Chris and I will most likely make something like this a
23 requirement for 2005.0 (emerge release-specs or something like it).
24
25 Cheers,
26 --
27 John Davis <zhen@g.o>
28 The Gentoo Foundation
29 Trustee | Release Engineering Manager | Catalyst code monkey
30
31 ---
32 "When people learn no tools of judgement and merely follow their hopes,
33 the seeds of political manipulation are sown"
34 - Stephen Jay Gould