From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] list replies (was Re: ANNOUNCE: Catalyst 1.1.2)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:21:49
1 On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 11:07 -0600, William Kilian wrote:
2 > I agree that replies should go only to the list and not the list and
3 > sender. That's normal list etiquette. I don't get duplicates because I
4 > have procmail recipe that catches them all, but I had noticed when
5 > Replying to All that sometimes that there were several cc's listed.
6
7 Nifty. Would you be kind enough to share this recipe? I would
8 appreciate it greatly.
9
10 > I don't want to start any holy wars about MUAs or list policy, but I
11 > think the list should be overriding Reply-To headers.
12
13 Actually, that is an infrastructure thing. They won't do it, and I
14 agree with them.
15
16 > I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird with no extensions, and the only toolbar
17 > reply buttons or context menu choices I get are Reply to Sender and
18 > Reply to All. I.e., I have no explicit Reply to List option. However,
19 > Reply to Sender uses the Reply-To address if it exists. My Reply-To is
20 > blank and the list sets the Reply-To to gentoo-catalyst@g.o on
21 > messages from me. I notice that the list also does this for others.
22 > However, the Reply-To for messages from you is not set to the list.
23 > There are others whose personal addresses are also staying in the
24 > Reply-To. That's probably why I started using Reply-All in the first
25 > place. I'd been wondering why I had to fix the headers so often when I
27 > Who wants the casual reply to a message from this list to go just to the
28 > original sender anyway? If somebody really has a need to email only the
29 > original sender, let that person take the extra time to fix the address.
30
31 http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
32
33 Anyway, if Thuderbird has no way to reply-to-list, then Thunderbird
34 should be extended. Is there a feature request already out there for
35 this? I know that in evolution, you must select "Reply to List" from
36 the context menu, as there's no button for it.
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
41 Games - Developer
42 Gentoo Linux