From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Kernel modules and packages
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:24:04
1 On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 12:09 +0000, hostmaster@×××××××.at wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 >
4 > I have the following problems.
5 >
6 > I use catalyst 1.1.5 and the latest stable genkernel.
7 >
8 > The build procedure of catalyst allways fails in livecd-stage2
9 > when it trys to emerge the kernel modules i need ( e.g. ipw2200 ).
10 > It always says that it i have an unconfigured kernel,
11 > which is not true. The kernel itselfe was compiled before
12 > the merge of the modules.
13
14 Whata re you using to merge the modules? Is it possible that you didn't
15 include wireless support in your kernel?
16
17 > I have also a problem with livecd-stage1 builds and kernel dependend
18 > packages ( e.g. kismet ). I don't know how to make catalyst to merge
19 > it correct, since i have no configured kernel in livecd-stage1 and kismet
20 > checks for it.
21
22 All packages that require configured kernel sources must be installed
23 during livecd-stage2.
24
25 > I just ask here, because i'm not shure if it's an bug in catalyst or not.
26
27 Nope. That is intended behavior.
28
29 > And a little suggestion for catalyst and livecd-stage1 build. Wouldn't
30 > it make sense to make an :
31 > emerge --deep --update --usepkg --buildpkg world
32 > before merging the defined packages. Otherwise not all packages matches
33 > the use flags which can be used in livecd-stage1.
34
35 No. We use --newuse, which will update any packages whose USE has
36 changed.
39 Chris Gianelloni
41 Games - Developer
42 Gentoo Linux