From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: livecd-stage1 pkgconfig
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:20:36
1 On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 01:57 -0400, Christophe PEREZ wrote:
2 > Is it possible for someone to explain to me the difference between
3 > livecd/fsscript, livecd/overlay and livecd/root_overlay ?
4
5 fsscript is a script, run after the default scripts, that makes changes
6 to the filesystem and is run within the chroot.
7
8 livecd/overlay is an overlay over the CD, not the filesystem within the
9 CD. We use this for the docs and snapshot, etc on the Universal CD to
10 get things on the outside of the loop. This is for things, like, adding
11 a README to the root of the CD.
12
13 livecd/root_overlay overlays the files within the chroot and the CD's
14 filesystem. If you want to add a working configuration for a user, then
15 you would have an overlay that looks like this:
16
17 /home/$user/.config
18
19 This would copy .config to /home $user.
20
21 > I want X is automaticaly launched at boot.
22
23 This is easy. Use generic-livecd as your livecd/type (you should never
24 use anything else since you are not building releases anyway) and make
25 sure you have X in your USE flags for livecd-stage1, when you install
26 livecd-tools.
27
28 If you want opengl support, then you will also need the opengl USE flag.
29
30 > I add xdm:default to livecd/rcadd
31
32 You should use this if you want opengl support:
33
34 livecd/rcadd:
35 x-setup|default
36 xdm|default
37
38 Use this if you do not:
39
40 livecd/rcadd:
41 mkxf86config|default
42 xdm|default
43
44 > But, I have to create a xorg.conf dynamicaly.
45
46 Now, these will create your xorg.conf file for you. Also, if you choose
47 to use opengl, then you will need to install the nvidia and ati drivers
48 during your livecd-stage2 packages for your kernels.
49
50 > I tought to use xorg -configure to create configuration, but I don't know
51 > how to add this command (in which script) in my livecd.
52
53 Bad idea. Try using the stuff I've already built and tested. =]
54
55 > In the same way, I want to add parameters of configuration during the
56 > creation of the livecd (this is not at cd boot), have I to add them in
57 > fsscript or root_overlay ?
58
59 I don't really understand this exactly. But anything that you want
60 changed should be in a fsscript *unless* it is just adding files. The
61 fsscript is just a shell script that is executed by catalyst within the
62 chroot.
63
64 > In short, I want a create a script to modify livecd parameters (at the
65 > end of the built), and a script to update parameters during the boot.
66 > I don't know if I'm clear, sorry.
67
68 To update parameters during boot, you'll need to do some work, depending
69 on the parameters you need to adjust. I can't really help more without
70 more information.
73 Chris Gianelloni
75 Games - Developer
76 Gentoo Linux