From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] DVCS update
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:15:18
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:51:34PM -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> - Robin has commented that he doesn't know what kind of server-side > resources are required. I've talked to a number of git admins > (, fedora,, gnome), and they have all said the > hardware requirements for git are negligible. They don't have any > resource on their servers that's being used up. It's gitweb that is > somewhat resource-intensive.
A specific comment on this (I know I've been away lately, I'm busy getting back to things now that I've moved house). Git devours RAM. During pull actions, if the pull triggers a build of a custom pack on the server, it can snowball to kill the box with IO load due to swap and later OOM. The git-upload-pack that runs on the server side when you do a 'git clone ...' at the moment for the gentoo-x86.git repo exceeds 1GB of RAM after 10 minutes of running. The box only has 2GB of RAM, so it hits swap quickly, and things go downhill very fast from there. -- Robin Hugh Johnson Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy E-Mail : robbat2@g.o GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-council] DVCS update Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>