From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:10:21
This is allready in kde, also I find http://localhost:631/ to be the best way to configure cups. A tool might be possible to assist in some of the settings not available through these tools (think access control etc)
> 6) device manager. kernel modules, module parameters, usb devices.
We would first need to make a manual for doing this, then make a tool that can support it. I think it is not a priority right now.
> 7) Date, time, locale configuration.
Timezone and locale I agree (it also needs some research on how to set it properly). For date and time there are allready too many tools.
> 8) Font configurator.
Offered by kde at least. I don't know about gnome. It could be improved though. A manual though has a greater priority as it would describe how to do the things that the tool should do.
> 9) Samba, FTP - include simple file sharing setup and management for > inexperienced users and most likely for basic start.
For inexperienced users I would reccomend agains ftp as it is unsecure. Samba has an excellent configurator in swat.
> 10) Global gentoo specific configuration, interface for rc.conf. > > if we could make the whole thing modular and provide good API, the list > could evolve.
That allmost sounds like linuxconf.
> First of all let's decide what level of tools we need. All the hackers > outthere will be using good ol' "vi some.conf" method, but for new users > these tools and the ease of use might be a critical point in choosing > Gentoo.
For me the tools should be helpfull in daytoday administration of gentoo. I don't think we should target newbees. When things are a bit more complicated it forces people to think first, and then press the button. This does not mean that things should be overcomplicated. It just means that the tool should not make decisions for you (like the rest of gentoo tries to avoid that). Not making decisions for the user means to me that a configuration tool should aim at supporting every configuration possible and especially should never ever preclude the use of alternative configuration tools (ever tried to configure cups with the redhat tool? they conveniently forgot the privileged port option, so you cannot use the tool at all, but they do put many warnings against not editing the file) Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools Gytis Raciukaitis <raciuk@××××××××××.lt>