From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] KDE-Sunset : anyone home ?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 06:02:44
1 121029 Fat-Zer wrote:
2 > 2012/10/29 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
3 >> I sent in a msg last week re failure of kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 to compile.
4 >> Sadly, no-one has responded.
5 >> No complaint to anyone, but is the Kde-Sunset overlay still supported ?
6 >> If no-one remains interested in it, I can drop it & move on ;
7 >> if someone who knows re it is still around, can they advise ?
8 >> Without Kdelibs KDE is unusable.
9 > AFAIR kdelibs fails to compile with avahi use
10 > since the creation of the kde-sunset overlay...
11 > I'm not a gentoo developer or a kde-sunset maintainer
12 > so i can't speak from their names, but I consider kde-sunset is broken
13 > and I'm not sure if it will be fixed some time.
14 > It really needs a lot of fixes to make it work and compile normally
15 > with modern libs and I see no enthusiasm among it's maintainers.
16 > I'm currently using an old build of kde-3.5
17 > but it seems my system is turning to dump with each update
18 > because I believe if I'll run an emerge --depclean
19 > next time I won't be able to rebuild most of needed stuff.
20 > Currently I'm trying to make an overlay for the Trinity project
21 > but it's still quite crappy and not ready to be announced to the public.
22
23 Thanks for the reply ! -- I just want to go on using 2 apps
24 -- Kmahjongg, which lacks a removed-tiles display in KDE 4 ,
25 & Kworldclock, which is useful for quickly finding local times, --
26 & had them working on my older machine, which I moved out of September.
27 The real solution for me is to get KDE to add these features to 4.x.x
28 with the latter added to the new Marble app: I sent in bugs long ago
29 & plan to resubmit them & see if such prods produce results.
30
31 I have subscribed to the Trinity mailing-lists,
32 but they are obviously very short-handed & unlikely to support Gentoo;
33 it mb possible to compile the essentials from source into /opt/trinity/ .
34 Please feel enouraged to get Trinity working here (big smile):
35 there are clearly some people who want to go on using a version of KDE 3 ,
36 tho' I'm happily at home these days generally with Fluxbox + KDE 4 apps.
37
38 Anyone else have comments ?
42 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
43 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
44 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca