From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] KDE live ebuilds and the kdeprefix USE flag default
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 21:39:15
1 Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
2 > On Воскресенье 04 января 2009 20:14:57 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I wanted to raise this, and it should possibly be an issue we discuss at
7 >> the next meeting. Should all live ebuilds default to +kdeprefix?
8 >>
9 >> Personally I think they should. Anyone wanting an all -kdeprefix system
10 >> can set -kdeprefix in their make.conf, and those of us keeping a stable
11 >> in -kdeprefix, and a live in +kdeprefix can continue to do this.
12 >>
13 >> When I originally committed the eclass changes to the default for live
14 >> ebuilds this was the case. It was since changed without any discussion.
15 >> I think the previous behaviour represents the most flexible approach for
16 >> our user and development community.
17 >>
18 >> Is there a flaw in this logic? As far as I can see anyone wanting the
19 >> current behaviour can add a line to their make.conf, the old behaviour
20 >> is impossible to reproduce now without maintaining a patched
21 >> kde4-base.eclass.
22 >>
23 >> Thanks,
24 >>
25 >> Marcus
26 >>
27 > Personaly I think that all kde-base live ebuilds should be in +kdeprefix while
28 > misc packages susch as amarok and so on could be both +kdeprefix and - kdeprefix
29 > Also I think that misc packages could be installed with snapshots or even
30 > stable kde
31 >
32 You didn't address the main question I was posing - should live ebuilds
33 of misc packages default to +kdeprefix? I think they should and see no
34 reason for not doing this. It allows people to maintain a live/stable
35 system using -/+kdeprefix respectively if they want to. If they want
36 everything installed in /usr they can explicitly set -kdeprefix.
37
38 You bring up several other points but I am not sure they all need
39 considering at the same time...
40
41 Thanks,
42