From: Jean-Marc Beaune <jm.beaune@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:26:24
Hi,

This is due to ATA/ATAPI (DEPRECATED) being disabled in newer kernels,
replaced by Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers.

Make sure you enabled this support properly.

In my case that happened to me as well, on a remote computer, which was my
mother's box...

Anyway, in fstab /dev/sdXX shoud work, at least I made this change on a
couple of machines and that went fine.

Cheers,
JM

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>wrote:

> I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. > > I've been running this desktop box using kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 and > have come to the point at which there are too many dependencies and > reverse dependencies, so I _have_ to upgrade to kernel 2.6.29-gentoo-r5 > and have been unable to bring the system up in the new kernel. Here's > what's happening. > > The newer kernel requires a newer version of udev, which I emerged. The > system came up with a root device of some sort mounted, I think in > single-user mode, but couldn't mount other devices. > > So I changed the main drive designations to UUID's in /etc/fstab, > re-emerged the newer udev, and tried again. This time I got a message > that the kernel needed a root parameter at boot time. It seems that all > my /dev/hda? drives have been renamed /dev/sda? so I set gave > "root=/dev/sda4" as a kernel parameter and got a little further. After > "Checking root filesystem" in the boot sequence, I got a message that > the UUID for the root filesystem wasn't understood in /etc/fstab. > > So I set the root filesystem in /etc/fstab to /dev/sda4, and got the > same error - that "/dev/sda4" was not understood either, although the > kernel seemed to understand this just fine as a boot parameter, and once > again, I'm dumped into a very limited single-user mode. > > So I'm stuck! I had to boot from a rescue disk, back-version to > udev-141 and revert to kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 to get my desktop back. > > What do I need to put into /etc/fstab to satisfy the kernel? I need to > move forward with this, but I need my desktop system to run my business. > Any _real_ suggestions will be welcome. Please be aware that I'm no > Linux novice, so don't give me novice advice. I've been building, > running, and getting paid to admin Linux systems since 1995. > > -- > Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works if you let it" > FMP Computer Services | (The Roadie) > 512-259-1190 | > http://www.fmp.com | > > >
-- Jean-Marc