From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Mouseover on audio files
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:47:37
1 On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:31 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > How do I get sound files to preview when I mouseover an icon? I have my
3 > preferences set to "Preview sound files: -> Always" but when I mouseover
4 > audio files they don't play. Doing a "ps auxw" with and without a
5 > mouseover in progess shows no difference in the running processes, so my
6 > guess is that something should be running that isn't.
7 >
8 > Is this a GStreamer issue? Should gst-launch be running, and if so
9 > shouldn't it auto-start when I log in to a gnome session? I looked at
10 > the man page for gst-launch and it's a regular bear. There must be some
11 > facility that manages it so that I don't have to do it myself.
12 >
13 > This works on my Ubuntu-based laptop, and _used_ to work on my Gentoo
14 > desktop, but hasn't worked for a while. It would be handy to get it
15 > working again.
18 For older nautilus (2.20 and older) you need the esd use flag. For
19 newer nautilus, if you don't have esd, it falls back on totem to play
20 them. Can totem play the files in question? Maybe you need specific
21 use flags on gst-plugins-meta for the files in question?
22
23 Dan