From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Interest inquery: kde4-nosemantic overlay
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:09:29
1 Le Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:32:25 +0000 (UTC),
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> a écrit :
3
4 > For kde-4.11, it seems the gentoo/kde project has decided to
5 > hard-enable the former semantic-desktop USE flag, forcing the option
6 > on and forcing a number of formerly optional additional
7 > dependencies.[1]
8
9 With USE="-consolekit -policykit -semantic-desktop -udisks
10 -udisks2 -upowe", I get ride of both *kit and semantic-desktop in kde,
11 and of the whole of gnome as a bonus. -:)
12
13 I have only parts of kde in my system, but I made such a profile for
14 the pro-audio overlay, and no user complained it was not working. It is
15 another one as generic dekstop profile.
16
17 The main concern was *kit, which is mandatory with only very few
18 desktops like Gnome, but is enabled into all the gentoo desktop
19 profiles -:(. When I see it was possible to speed up kde by removing the
20 semantic desktop, I did a desktop-kde profile too.
23 > But, I spent quite some time here switching away from kdepim's kmail,
24 > akregator, etc, so I could kill akonadi on my system, and with it
25 > semantic-desktop, etc, and I'm in no mood to have it hard-enabled now.
26 > If it comes to it, I'd rather dump the kde desktop and switch to
27 > something else[2], than have semantic-desktop on my system once again.
28 >
29 > But with a bit of luck, I won't have to switch away from kde after
30 > all.
31 >
32 > I already asked gentoo/kde to reconsider, given that they've supported
33 > USE=-semantic-desktop until now and with 4.11 much of kde4's going
34 > into maintenance mode as the upstream developer focus switches to
35 > kde5/kde- frameworks, so it makes little sense to drop support for
36 > -semantic- desktop now, when upstream is continuing to offer that
37 > option at least thru kde4, and kde5/frameworks is supposed to be far
38 > more modular, so with luck will allow users to pick and choose
39 > whether they want the semantic-desktop components pulled in or not.
40 > However, given the gentoo/ kde project history with dropping kde3
41 > support and forcing kde3 users to to the user-supported kde-sunset
42 > overlay even while kde4 was still not ready for use (and despite
43 > upstream kde's broken promise to support kde3 as long as there
44 > continued to be users), I'm not optimistic, but it was worth a shot.
45 >
46 > But the kde-sunset overlay does suggest another alternative, a kde4-
47 > nosemantic overlay.
48 >
49 > Meanwhile, as I upgraded to the kde-4.11 pre-releases (currently
50 > 4.10.90 aka 4.11-beta2) in the kde overlay, for the kde-desktop-core
51 > and other gentoo/kde packages I still run, I diffed the ebuilds
52 > between 4.10.x and 4.10.80 (aka 4.11-beta1), then checked the diffs
53 > for non-semantic-desktop related changes and kept them, while
54 > changing the semantic-desktop force- enabling changes to
55 > force-disabling instead.
56 >
57 > Then I created a framework that works much like epatch_user, except
58 > instead of automatically applying patches to upstream sources, it
59 > automatically applies patches to gentoo ebuilds and instead of using
60 > the /etc/portage/patches/ tree, it uses /etc/portage/patches.ebuild/.
61 >
62 > So now I have a set of ebuild patches that patch the kde 4.11 ebuilds
63 > (starting with 4.10.80, aka 4.11-beta1) to force-disable semantic-
64 > desktop, instead of force-enabling it. And I have a scripted
65 > framework that auto-applies these patches to new ebuilds on emerge
66 > --sync and layman -S, thus keeping no-semantic around as upstream
67 > gentoo/kde updates their ebuilds.
68 >
69 > For now, therefore, I'm fine, up and running on 4.10.90 (aka
70 > 4.11-beta2), using gentoo/kde ebuilds auto-patched to kill the now
71 > forced-on semantic- desktop, forcing it off instead.
72 >
73 > But realistically, I honestly don't know if longer term, I'll be able
74 > to continue maintenance of all of this by myself. Chances are
75 > unfortunately high that without help from others, over time I'll
76 > decide it's simply too much of a hassle maintaining the patches, and
77 > will end up switching to some other desktop, with the qt-based
78 > razor-qt desktop one candidate as sort of a kde-lite desktop, and
79 > enlightenment as another, getting away from kde and qt entirely.
80 >
81 > Besides which, if I'm finding kde-nosemantic useful enough to go to
82 > all this trouble, there's a good chance that others will be
83 > interested in it themselves, especially if they don't have to do all
84 > the work I'm now doing myself, themselves. So with kde-sunset in
85 > mind as precedent, I'm now proposing a kde-nosemantic overlay, like
86 > kde-sunset, user-maintained, but for kde4 folks who want a continued
87 > no-semantic choice, instead of kde3 users.
88 >
89 > Any interest?
90 >
91 > To be further discussed: Assuming a go-ahead on the general idea, do
92 > we want to maintain it as a normal overlay carrying at least the kde4
93 > ebuilds that require patching to kill semantic-desktop, or should we
94 > simply build on the epatch_ebuild_user scripts I have hacked up,
95 > presumably checking them into a git repo along with the patches
96 > themselves somewhere and making that available, then simply use that
97 > tool with the existing gentoo tree (when 4.11 is released and ebuilds
98 > arrive in the main tree) and kde project overlay to apply the patches
99 > to the existing tree and overlay instead of creating a full-fledged
100 > kde-nosemantic overlay ourselves. Of course the tools and patches
101 > could then have ebuilds and appear in an overlay of their own, rather
102 > than having the modified kde-nosemantic ebuilds in an overlay.
103 >
104 > One bonus to the tools overlay instead of a direct kde-nosemantic
105 > overlay approach, is that gentooers not interested in kde, but
106 > interested in the ebuild-patch tools, might find that useful, add
107 > that overlay to their layman overlay list, and contribute patches to
108 > the ebuild-patches tool, helping it mature and grow into a general
109 > purpose automated-ebuild- patching tool rather faster than it might
110 > otherwise happen.
111 >
112 > A hybrid alternative would be to adopt an idea much like the existing
113 > kde overlay, where there's a documentation or tools directory that
114 > carries them, in addition to the kde-base category and etc, carrying
115 > the patched ebuilds themselves.
116 >
117 > So what do people think? Any interest? How should we go about it?
118 >
119 > Or should I just continue working on it on my own, with the likelihood
120 > that at some point I'll decide it's not worth the trouble and switch
121 > to a non-kde desktop, as I've switched to other non-kde tools as the
122 > kde versions jumped the shark over the course of kde4?
123 >
124 > In particular, I expect users who are or have been active in the kde-
125 > sunset overlay will have some useful insights.
126 >
127 > ---
128 > [1] Andreas Huttel, aka gentoo dev dilfridge, covered this on his blog
129 > (which is in turn covered by planet-gentoo, where I subscribe to the
130 > feed, thus seeing it there):
131 >
132 > http://dilfridge.blogspot.com/2013/05/news-from-201305-gentoo-kde-team-meeting.html
133 >
134 > [2] While during the early kde4 fiasco I was mostly standardized on
135 > kde apps and therefore had little choice, over the course of kde4,
136 > I've switched away from kde apps for first one thing than another, so
137 > by now it's mostly the core kde4 desktop I depend on, plus a few
138 > other less vital apps, games, dolphin, gwenview, superkaramba, that I
139 > could leave behind far more easily now, if I decided I could no
140 > longer run the kde- core-desktop.
145 "We have the heroes we deserve."