From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] multilib, slot conflicts, and the sun going down
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 00:20:31
1 Tiago Marques <tiagomnm@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Besides that, were you actually able to use the desktop? A good while
4 > back I was having issues with newer GCCs, HAL, consolekit and other
5 > parts of the desktop's subsystem.
6 >
7 > My experience is ABI_X86 has unfortunately introduced conflicts
8 > everywhere, not just on this overlay.
9
10 Up until now, I've been able to find ways around everything. There was
11 always some patch to get around most (but not all) GCC issues. I got
12 around HAL by not using it, and using the KDE 4 version of programs like
13 K3B that cared about HAL. I got around consolekit by just making my
14 launch of KDE include 'exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax
15 --exit-with-session startkde', which registers the session. (Later I
16 just globally got rid of consolekit, since it's pretty annoying even
17 outside of KDE, as is policykit, and all those kits.)
18
19 But I've got no solution for this. It doesn't appear to be all
20 multilib's fault though. It looks like all packages that used to be
21 under kde-base/ in main Portage are now under kde-apps/, and this
22 expectation has carried across into the overlay somehow. Since the
23 overlay is not updated for this, it's causing most of KDE 3 to appear to
24 be missing to Portage...or at least that's how it looks so far.
25
26 I may just give it up. I mostly wanted KDE 3 to continue for two
27 things, now no longer necessary for me:
28
29 - I had it configured to look like CDE. Yes I know lots of people think
30 CDE is ugly, but I like it, and KDE 4 is incapable of getting that
31 look quite to the degree KDE 3 could. It doesn't matter so much now
32 that real OpenGroup CDE has been open-sourced and is being vigorously
33 supported by community people who care about it. You can now make
34 your Linux workstation look like HP-UX til the end of time if you
35 want.
36
37 - I liked the HTML editor Quanta, which is a QT3 only program. Lately
38 though, I've been becoming more and more of an Emacs person. (It's
39 got me. GNU Emacs happens to people when they least expect it.) As
40 part of that growing disease, I've become attached to Emacs' various
41 modes and assistants for HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc., so I don't
42 really need Quanta so much anymore either.
43
44 Oh well...farewell KDE 3.
47 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
48 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
49 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
50 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
51 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky