From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:17:08
Thus spake Mike C. Fletcher on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:55:15PM CDT
> Donnie Berkholz wrote: > ... > > >On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we > >improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
Here's a big one on my wish-list! I think I saw a lengthy discussion of it in the bug tracker, or on one of the lists, and it looked like changes were in the works, but I never saw anything come down the pike that suggested that it was a done deal. Maybe it's there and it slipped by me. When I do a batch-emerge, such as 'emerge uU world', a lot of important informaton on various packages scrolls up the screen. Some of this stuff is must-read info, or stuff that would save a lot of time and research if I could read it. In Debian, with the ncurses debconf UI, I can swipe the important info screens and paste them into a file for review later. They all have <OK> buttons so they stay until you dismiss them. In Gentoo there's no way to do this. I've taken to doing emerges with my fingers ready on CTRL-S so I can stop and read, or save off, important stuff before it's gone off screen and out of the scroll buffer. Needless to say, this can eat up a lot of time. It sure would be VERY nice if there were some way to capture all the output from einfo and ewarn during a batch build so that I could go do something else and come back when the job was done and review all the messages relating to all the installed or updated packages. I'd really love for someone to tell me that this I'm a clueless RTFM idiot, that it's already done, and if I were half-way on the ball I'd be doing it already ;-) -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <> | ("The Roadie") | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Jason Wong <gentoo@××××××××××.org>